Last Friday, March 9, 2007 the UN wrapped up its annual session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women.
Guess where they found a violation of women's rights?
- Among the hundreds of thousands of women who are dead, dying, mutilated, displaced or raped in Sudan?
- Among the million female migrant workers cowering in the basements of Saudi Arabian villas from the taskmasters who stole their passports the minute they got off the plane?
- Among the women stoned and hanged for "adultery" in Iran?
- The millions of women forcibly aborted in China?
- The thousands murdered or forced to commit suicide for the crime of "dishonoring" their fathers and brothers across the Arab and Muslim world?
... none of the above...
...The UN's lead body charged with promoting and protecting women's rights identifies only one state as violating the rights of women in the world today – Israel. The vote was 40 for and 2 against (the United States and Canada).