Monday, July 24, 2006

Sunday - 93 rockets in the north

From Ynet News, 23/7/06, by Ahiya Raved ...

Several rocket barrages directed all day Sunday at northern Israel; two people lose their lives in attacks

Ninety-three rockets land on north and two people killed – this is the price of another day of fighting in the north: Habib Awad, 48, of Aabalin, was killed in a carpentry shop in Kiryat Ata and 60-year-old Shimon Glikblich was killed in Haifa while driving.

Since Sunday morning, Magen David Adom paramedics have been called to 39 incidents and have treated 93 casualties, including two dead, three seriously injured people, 28 lightly injured people, and 60 people suffering from shock.

Many rocket barrages landed all over northern communities.

The last barrage landed in Haifa shortly after 5 p.m. One rocket struck a rocket, splitting a gas tank and causing a blaze – six people were lightly injured.

Firefighters controlled the blaze after a short time.

...Earlier, a man was seriously injured in Akko while nine others suffered shock. In Tiberias two car passengers were injured after a rocket landed nearby. One is moderately injured and the other is lightly wounded.

Rockets also landed in Kiryat Shmona – where two people were lightly injured.

The lethal barrage was fired at Haifa and the Krayot at around 11 a.m., killing two and injuring 17.

Since the start of fighting 12 days ago, 37 people have been killed.

Neighbors, relatives, and friends assembled at the home of Shimon Gliklich in the Nave David neighborhood in southern Haifa. The neighborhood houses many poor people and new immigrants from the former Soviet Union and Ethiopia. Gliklich left behind a woman and a 22 year-old daughter.

Yardena Michael-Weisler, 41, lives in the same apartment building, and said: "They were quiet neighbors. We never heard them having an argument with anyone. He always cleaned the car and looked after it as if it was his whole world, and he was killed in it. They were thought to be relatively new neighbors and didn't manage to get to know them from up close. Neighbors are met either in times of happiness or sorrow. Now this is the situation, we are getting to know each other in depth in the bomb shelter and we all identify with the morning, because he's one of us."

Aablin residents: Take out Nasrallah
A heavy atmosphere of mourning is hanging over the home of Habib Awad, in Aablin, near Kiryat Ata.

Awad was killed this afternoon by a Katyusha rocket strike. His wife, Hifa, and other women sat under the family home near the community's entrance. Almost everyone agrees that Hassan Nasrallah must be taken out.

Brother in law Haj said: "When a person is sick, he is given medicine to get better. What they did here is allow the cancer to spread. He (Nasrallah) should have been taken out before this damage occurred."

Another resident added: "He destroyed Lebanon and now he is trying to destroy Israel."

Habib's brother, Philip, said that during the attack he was with his father, Isa, at the Kiryot medical center. "When the siren sounded we went down to the stairwell with everyone else, and one of the doctors told us that the rocket landed in Krayot. I didn't attach much importance to that yet. But when I came home, I turned on the television and began to shake. They said there were two people killed, one in Nesher (which later turned out to be Haifa) and one in Kiryat Ata. I started to panic. My heart prophesied bad things. I called his wife; I heard her and the children crying. She told me he wasn't answering the phone. I spoke with her wife, he is a police officer, and he told me to call again in 15 minutes. When I called again he told me he was on his way to me. Then I understood that my worst fears came true. That my brother was killed."

Haj said he called his friend to clarify the identity of the casualty. "They didn't know I was from Aablin. They told it me it was someone from my community. When they gave me the name I realized it was my brother in law. I asked them only to call me when they come to notify the family. When my sister saw me arrive with the police officers, she immediately understood what happened and burst out in shouts."

Family members say Habib was a quiet person and loved by all family members. "All the people in the village knew him, loved him, and esteemed him. He everyone."

Habib's brother said he loved his work at the carpentry shop, in which he worked for close to 20 years. "A few days ago, when there was tension, I called Habib's wife and asked him where he was. She told me he was at work, and I told her to call him immediately and tell him to go back home."

Philip said: "There is no benefit in war. No leader and no agreement in the world will bring my brother back. There are no winners in war, but the simple person is the one who suffers." Half of the residents of Aablin are Orthodox Christians and the other half are Muslims.

Habib left behind his wife – Hifa, and four children, a 15 year-old daughter, two sons aged 13 and 11, and a 5-year-old daughter. His funeral will be held Monday at 5 p.m. in Aablin.

Keren Natanzon contributed to the report

No comments: