From an interview, Wed. Oct. 28 2009, with Dan Senor, co-author of 'Start-up Nation: The Story of Israel's Economic Miracle,' in which he discusses with CNBC how Israel has managed to become a leader in business innovation:
(the video commences with a brief advertisement)
1. Israel's unique role in encouraging immigration and integrating immigrants into the economy.
2. Israel's unique focus on research and development.
3. The unique role of Israel in integrating its ex-soldiers into the economy after they conclude military service.
4. Israel's "ethos of resiliance and survivability" and its culture of entrepreneurship and innovation - business goes on regardless of war.
6. Israel as a historically-socialist economy that has been moving towards free-market capitalism, while America has been moving in the opposite direction.