Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Zentai loses extradition appeal

From the ABC , 31/3/09, by Andrew Nelson:

The Federal Court has dismissed an appeal against a ruling that an 86-year-old Perth man can be extradited to Hungary to face trial for an alleged war crime.

Charles Zentai is accused of beating a Jewish teenager to death during the Nazi occupation of Budapest in 1944. He denies the allegation and has spent more than three years fighting attempts to send him to Hungary to face the charge.

Justice John Gilmour today ruled in favour of a magistrate's decision last year that Mr Zentai is eligible for extradition.

However Justice Gilmour granted a seven-day stay of execution of the ruling to allow Mr Zentai's lawyers time to consider an appeal to the full Federal Court.

Mr Zentai's son, Ernie Steiner, says the family still has several options to consider.
"It's not over by a long shot because we also have rights of appeal to the Attorney General and to the Minister for Home Affairs," he said.

"So we have very lengthy submissions."
Post a Comment