Thursday, January 18, 2007

Halutz: I made my decision out of loyalty to the IDF

From JPost, Jan. 17, 2007, by JPOST.COM STAFF ....

In his first public appearance since he handed in his resignation, IDF Chief of General Staff Lt. -Gen. Dan Halutz spoke during a ceremony marking the graduation of Naval commanders in Haifa, saying that he made the decision "based on deep-rooted values, those of strong ethics, loyalty to the organization and integrity.....I served the army responsibly for over four decades, and this responsibility continued in the last few months. It is this responsibility that led me to announce my resignation."

Defense Minister Amir Peretz, also present at the ceremony, praised Halutz as a soldier and a commander and stressed that the new chief of staff would be chosen without delay. "I have begun the process necessary for choosing the next chief of staff. This process will be swift, legal and responsible. The only consideration facing me is Israel's security," Peretz said.
Peretz praised Halutz's conduct following the war. "The chief of general staff has conducted the process necessary to transform the crisis of the Lebanon war into leverage for change.....The scope and depth of the probes is unprecedented. The probes retain a high level of clarity towards Israel's security establishment as well as the public."

Peretz said Halutz's decision was "premature. I am sorry he won't be with us to complete the task" of rejuvinating the army after the failures of the summer's war in Lebanon. "We have much work to do, said Peretz, adding "I say to the chief of staff: I lament your decision but respect it."

Peretz also sent out a warning to Israel's enemies: "Do not misinterpret the chief of staff's resignation. Do not make the mistake of seeing this as a sign of weakness - it is a sign of our national strength."

No comments: