By Jock L. Falkson
Apartheid in South Africa was based on color separation. It was the whites (the “Europeans”) versus the “non-Europeans” (Blacks, Coloreds [mixed race], Indians Malays and Chinese). All suffered from the legalized deprivation decreed by a South African government determined to impose white domination on the rest.
It is manifestly clear that Israel has no color problem of any kind. Israel has brought in some 70,000 Ethiopian Jews and plans to absorb 30,000 more. All, including Circassian, Druze, Kurds, Armenians, Beduin and other non-Jewish citizens of the Jewish State, enjoy equal rights. Many Druze and Beduin serve in Israel’s army.
There is no semblance of South African apartheid here in democratic Israel. If ever a lie has been incessantly repeated to damage Israel, this is a prime example. For as the unlamented and unmourned Dr. Goebbels proved, nothing is more effective than a constantly repeated big lie.
While many entries are extensively repeated, a Google search credits Mahmoud Abbas with approximately 19,000 apartheid references. Suffice to say he is an active promoter of the big apartheid lie.
The apartheid lie attached to Israel is one of several concocted by Palestinians to publicize their cause. Readers and viewers are led by the nose because lies are so effective in promoting their policies – the bigger the better. Nevertheless the apartheid concept is totally inapplicable to Israel as the following refutations abundantly make clear:
1. Blacks, Coloreds, Indians, Malays and Chinese were legally classified as “Non-Europeans” and did not have the vote in apartheid South Africa. Neither in Municipal, Provincial nor Government elections.
Israel’s Arab citizens, some 20% of the population, have always enjoyed equal voting rights. Eleven Arabs sit in Israel’s Knesset.
2. Non-Europeans exclusively had to carry a “Pass Book”. (Identity books were introduced for Europeans round about 1976.) Employers had to sign the pass books monthly. Pass book infringements by blacks led to jail sentences and often to deportation to the black homelands.
All citizens and legal residents of Israel carry an identity card as required by law.
3. Job Reservation laws kept non-Europeans from a wide range of jobs.
No discrimination of this kind has ever existed in Israel’s democratic Jewish State.
4. There was free education for whites till matriculation. Not so for blacks whose educational prowess was strictly limited by an oppressive Bantu Education Act.
All school going children in Israel are entitled to publicly subsidized education till matriculation. No racial distinctions whatever are made.
5. Only one university was established for Blacks in South Africa, at Fort Hare.
In addition to several Arab universities which Israel established in the predominantly Arab areas, Arab students may study at any university in Israel.
6. Black-white sex was a serious jail time crime. Sex detectives were even employed to catch offending parties in flagrante delicto.
Legal sex apartheid in democratic Israel? You must be joking.
7. Medical services for non-Europeans were both restricted and segregated.
Arab citizens are members of all the major Medical Service Organizations and benefit equally from government subsidized medical services.
8. Hospitals were largely segregated or had segregated wards. White hospitals were on a par with any in the western world. But black hospitals were under funded, under staffed, and few. Ambulances were also segregated. A "white" ambulance could not take a black to hospital.
Not the Israeli way. Israeli Arabs get the full treatment in all State hospitals.
9. Non-Europeans “could not be employed in any of the skilled trades; they cannot become engineers, accountants or pharmacists. . .. The Civil Service is closed to non-Europeans, as are also the technical colleges and most of the universities. They may not use the libraries, cinemas, public transport, public conveniences, post offices . . ..” [From Prof. Deborah Posel’s THE MAKING OF APARTHEID.]
Arabs can do everything in Israel which non-Europeans in South Africa could not.
10. For many decades blacks had to observe a 9 p.m. curfew or face arrest, jail sentences and deportation.
Absolutely unheard of in democratic Israel.
11. No mixed sport was allowed – by law.
No such law ever in democratic Israel.
12. Parks and recreational areas provided benches for people to rest. Benches were painted with “Europeans Only” signs. I never saw a bench marked for non-Europeans nor a park.
An unimaginable insult in democratic Israel.
13. Non-Europeans were not permitted to use the main entrance to buildings. They had to use the “tradesmen’s” entrance at back.
An unheard of apartheid stricture in democratic Israel.
14. Black South Africans were given half the pension allocated to whites. They were forbidden membership in trade unions (until the 1980s). Strikes were banned and strikers severely repressed.
No such discrimination in democratic Israel. Not only are pensions allocated equally to all citizens but Arabs benefit fully from monthly child allowances to parents of large families.
15. Libraries, public swimming pools and beaches were racially segregated. Even so there were practically no black pools or libraries.
No such segregation in democratic Israel.
The way the Arabs use “Israeli apartheid” one might think they were protesting because Israel does not permit Arabs in their midst. Of course the very opposite is the case. It is the Arabs who do not suffer Jews in their midst. Many a Jew who has strayed into an Arab city, or taken a chance on doing business there, has been cruelly murdered. To ensure, no doubt, that Israelis do not misinterpret the message of their nazi Judenrein ideology.
Last but by no means least, we must not overlook the use of “apartheid wall/fence” – the most often repeated and deliberate misuse of the apartheid calumny.
The Arabs speak as though the wall as covers the full length of Israel’s anti-terrorist barrier. The unpalatable fact is that it does not. The barrier is 96 per cent fence and 4 per cent wall. Walls are only erected to prevent terrorist sharp shooters targeting Israelis living opposite built–up Arab areas.
It takes the chutzpah of an idiotarian* to attach the South African apartheid label to the democratic Jewish State of Israel. For the boot is truly on the other foot. Unlike the Judenrein Arab countries of the Middle East, Israel is the only one which neither believes in nor practices apartheid.
*Idiotarian is derisive blogosphere slang for opponents of Zionism, Conservatism and the Bush Doctrine, usually academics, journalists or entertainers. An apparent hybrid of libertarian and useful idiot. Originally coined by Charles Johnson, webmaster of the Little Green Footballs. (Wikipedia)